Gravesites: Environmental Ruin in Iraq
- March 09, 2006
- The chain of death created by the Gulf War is a scary thing. I'm not talking about black skies over the blazing oil wells of Kuwait, or charred remains of soldiers on the sand or the incinerated families who had sought protection in a bomb shelter. Those are familiar images of death, recognizable, and however painful, they are finite. With the end of hostilities, they disappear.
Iraq, International Women's Day, 2003
- March 08, 2003
March 8, 2003. International Women's Day!
So what? It's still war mode for Iraqi women as well as their sons and sisters, their fathers, their brothers and babies.
In Mosul, 400 km north of the Iraqi capital, it is a glorious spring day. How could a war be looming? How could thousands of tanks be lined up along three borders, ready to mow over us?
"Scheherazade's Legacy: Arab Women Writing" edited by Susan M. Darraj. Foreword by BN Aziz;
- September 07, 2004
- Inevitably, a time arrives in a people’s history when a shared awakening occurs. In varying degrees of awareness, driven by the feeling that “It is up to me to tell my people’s story,” we begin. Or, we are compelled simply to tell my own story. James Baldwin, when he emerged as a political voice, concluded, that he could not accept what he once believed --that he was an interloper, that he could have “no other heritage (than the white heritage) which I could possibly hope to use”, and he would simply have to accept his special attitude, his special place in the world scheme. At one time, he had believed that otherwise, “I would have no place in any scheme”. (Autobiographical Notes, p. 7, Notes of A Native Son, 1955.)
Men have singled out women of outstanding merit and put them on a pedestal to avoid recognizing the capabilities of all women--
Huda Shaarawi (1879-1947), Egyptian political activist and feminist
- a poem.. a song..
- Popular Palestinian Vocal
traditional song of The Homelands, Arabic Flash
- Qur'an Surat Al-Qadr, 'Night of Destiny'
Quranic recitation by women is as much a gift to the divine
- Book review
- G Willow Wilson's
The Butterfly Mosque
reviewed by BN Aziz.
- Tahrir Team
2011 Tahrir Producers
- Read about 2011 Tahrir Producers in the team page.
- Arab American Comedy Festival
- Arab Writers Conference, 2011
- AWAIR, Arab World & Islamic Resources
- Busboys and Poets; DC Bookstore & Cafe
- Electronic Intifada
- Journalists MiddleEast
- Pacifica Radio Network
- Women's Islamic Initiative
- Arab American Journalists
- Attorney Lynne Stewart--civil rights defender
- Boycott IsraelCampaign
- Connecting Cultures
- FSRN Pacifica Radio News
- Iraq Virtual Museum
- Muslim Women Lawyers
- Palestinian Initiative