Check our podcasts for new features and highlights from our archive of broadcasts on WBAI Radio-NY.
Recent posts include interviews with Rumi interpreter Shahram Shiva, London-based author Aamer Hussein, South African Muslim scholar, professor Farid Esack, and Iraqi journalist Nermeen Al-Mufti's brief account of Kirkuk City history. Your comments on our blogs are always welcome.
Voices of Iraq
- Dr. Aliya Sousa
- Dr. Aliya Sousa was the daughter and biographer of the remarkable
and prolific Iraqi author, researcher, engineer and hydrologist, Dr.
Ahmed Sousa (1900-1983).
In this 1999 interview in Baghdad, she recalls his early life. Aliya Sousa perished in the bombing of the UN office in Baghdad, August 19, 2003.
Sample Aliya Sousa speaks about her father Dr. Ahmed Sousa 7:29
Sample Pt 2, reviewing Sousa's research in irrigation 5:43
- Doni George
- Director of Documentation, Iraq National Museum.
Iraqi archeologist resigns, August 2006
Sample Iraq's intellectual and artistic heritage 4:41
- BN Aziz
- audio documentary-- "Iraq:How Can I Forget?"
Sample 'Iraq in the Embargo War 1990-2003'-- a Tahrir audio documentary 17:30
- Abbas Jijan
- Iraqi Poet Jijan presented this poem "Obama" in a 2009 program on Al-Arabiya TV. (in Arabic). See our July 20 podcast for the translation.
- Suad Al-Radi
- Iraqi resident, Baghdad, days before the invasion
Sample My country, my family 7:45
- Ilham AlMadfaii
- Iraqi musician
Sample from Al-Madfaii's 1997 interview with BN Aziz, prepared by Manaslu Gurung 4:01
- AbdulAmeer Alwan, Iraq2
Kerbala street in my hometown, 2000 (charcoal)
Palm Grove, south Iraq (watercolor)
- Mohammed Ghani Hikmat
- Iraq sculptor Mohammed Ghani Hikmat, in his studio in Baghdad in 1991, after the US-led bombing against Iraq; speaking to BN Aziz. (Ghani died Sept 12, 2011, in Jordan.)
“Very few people really care about freedom, about liberty, about the truth, very few. Very few people have guts, the kind of guts on which a real democracy has to depend. Without people with that sort of guts a free society dies or cannot be born.”
Doris Lessing, The Golden Notebook
- a poem.. a song..
- "I Am From"
Lisa Mohammed reads "I Am From" Flash
- Qur'an Surat Al-Qaria
from 'Approaching The Qur'an' CD, reciter: Seema B. Gazi
- Book review
- Dave Eggers's
reviewed by BN Aziz.
- Tahrir Team
- Read about Sally Sharif in the team page.