March 3/2016, "An Other Syria: Returning to The Nation": lecture by BNimri Aziz at State University of New York, Puchase, NY. See March 8 blog for how to access our podcasts in Syria, and enter 'syria' on this page to access articles.
Feb 21, 2016 Schomburg Center and MalcolmX Museum, New York. Commemoration of Malcolm X. Join Dr. Barbara Nimri Aziz, theologian Dr. Obery Hendricks and activist Linda Sarsour talking about Malcolm's teachings in relation to present day struggles and ideals. See video here:
Dec 24, 2015 "Islam and Muslims in America Today and before Today" a Christmas Eve special on WBAI. Hosts B Nimri Aziz and Hassen Abdellah return to the air to discuss issues of importance to Muslims in the USA with special guests, listener calls, Muslim HipHop, and poems from our archives.
Recent posts include interviews with Rumi interpreter Shahram Shiva, London-based author Aamer Hussein, South African Muslim scholar, professor Farid Esack, and Iraqi journalist Nermeen Al-Mufti's brief account of Kirkuk City history. Your comments on our blogs are always welcome.
Voices of Iraq
- Dr. Aliya Sousa
- Dr. Aliya Sousa was the daughter and biographer of the remarkable
and prolific Iraqi author, researcher, engineer and hydrologist, Dr.
Ahmed Sousa (1900-1983).
In this 1999 interview in Baghdad, she recalls his early life. Aliya Sousa perished in the bombing of the UN office in Baghdad, August 19, 2003.
Sample Aliya Sousa speaks about her father Dr. Ahmed Sousa 7:29
Sample Pt 2, reviewing Sousa's research in irrigation 5:43
- Doni George
- Director of Documentation, Iraq National Museum.
Iraqi archeologist resigns, August 2006
Sample Iraq's intellectual and artistic heritage 4:41
- BN Aziz
- audio documentary-- "Iraq:How Can I Forget?"
Sample 'Iraq in the Embargo War 1990-2003'-- a Tahrir audio documentary 17:30
- Abbas Jijan
- Iraqi Poet Jijan presented this poem "Obama" in a 2009 program on Al-Arabiya TV. (in Arabic). See our July 20 podcast for the translation.
- Suad Al-Radi
- Iraqi resident, Baghdad, days before the invasion
Sample My country, my family 7:45
- Ilham AlMadfaii
- Iraqi musician
Sample from Al-Madfaii's 1997 interview with BN Aziz, prepared by Manaslu Gurung 4:01
- AbdulAmeer Alwan, Iraq2
Kerbala street in my hometown, 2000 (charcoal)
Palm Grove, south Iraq (watercolor)
- Mohammed Ghani Hikmat
- Iraq sculptor Mohammed Ghani Hikmat, in his studio in Baghdad in 1991, after the US-led bombing against Iraq; speaking to BN Aziz. (Ghani died Sept 12, 2011, in Jordan.)
With visible breath I am walking. A voice I am sending as I walk. In a sacred manner I am walking. With visible tracks I am walking. In a sacred manner I walk.
- from Joseph Epes Brown's The Sacred Pipe: Black Elk's Account of the Seven Sacred Rites of the Ogl
- a poem.. a song..
- "Land Holy" by Suheir Hammad
written for young Mohammed Dura, killed by Israel troops, at his father's side Flash
- Qur'an Surat Al-Qaria
from 'Approaching The Qur'an' CD, reciter: Seema B. Gazi
- Book review
- Yousry Nasrallah, Director, Egypt's
Scheherazade: Tell Me A Story
reviewed by BN Aziz.
- Tahrir Team
Barbara Nimri Aziz
- Read about Barbara Nimri Aziz in the team page.